Jump to Terms & Conditions
Terms and Conditions
When you buy from Mastering Emacs you are entitled
to a full refund up to 30 days after your purchase. To get a
refund, simply contact Mastering Emacs by e-mailing mickey at
masteringemacs dot org.
Website and Mastering Emacs (trading under Semantical
Limited), the owner and provider of this Website. Semantical
Limited takes the privacy of your information very
all Data collected by us or provided by you in relation to
your use of the Website.
Definitions and interpretation
||collectively all information that you submit to Semantical Limited via the Website. This definition
incorporates, where applicable, the definitions provided in the Data Protection Act 1998 and Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (General Data Protection Regulation);
||a small text file placed on your computer by this Website when you visit certain parts of the Website and/or when you use certain features of the Website. Details of the cookies used by this Website are set out in the clause below (Cookies);
we or us
|Semantical Limited, a company incorporated in England and Wales with registered number 7312409 whose registered office is at 1001 Maritime House, Greens End, London, SE18 6HB;
|UK and EU Cookie Law
||the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003 as amended by the Privacy
and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) (Amendment) Regulations 2011;
|User or you
||any third party that accesses the Website and is not either (i) employed by Semantical Limited and
acting in the course of their employment or (ii) engaged as a consultant or otherwise providing services
to Semantical Limited and accessing the Website in connection with the provision of such services;
||the website that you are currently using, https://www.masteringemacs.org, and any sub-domains of this
site unless expressly excluded by their own terms and conditions.
- the singular includes the plural and vice versa;
- references to sub-clauses, clauses, schedules or appendices are to sub-clauses, clauses, schedules or
- a reference to a person includes firms, companies, government entities, trusts and partnerships;
- "including" is understood to mean "including without limitation";
- reference to any statutory provision includes any modification or amendment of it;
It does not extend to any websites that can be accessed from this Website including, but not limited to, any
links we may provide to social media websites.
- We may collect the following Data, which includes personal Data, from you:
- Contact Information such as email addresses and telephone numbers;
- IP address (automatically collected);
- Web browser type and version (automatically collected);
- Operating system (automatically collected);
- A list of URLs starting with a referring site, your activity on this Website, and the site you exit to
- Additionally, if you purchase the Mastering Emacs book through our site, we will also collect the following information:
- Your Name, so that we may identify you later as a paid customer
- Your Email address, so that we may send you transactional e-mails such as receipt of purchase, download links to the book, and notifications of future, free, releases of the book;
- IP address (stored when you download the book);
- Your country of origin, for VAT and Tax purposes
Our use of Data
- For purposes of the Data Protection Act 1998 and the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) (EU) 2016/679, Semantical Limited is the "data controller".
- All personal Data is stored securely in accordance with the principles of the Data Protection Act 1998. For
more details on security see the clause below (Security).
- As per the GDPR, when you purchase our products, you are entering into a contract with us for the purposes of record keeping.
As part of this record keeping we will share your data with the following processors:
- Paypal Incorporated, a payment processor, when you purchase our products through Paypal;
- Braintree Incorporated, a payment processor, when you purchase our products;
- Mailchimp and Mandrill ("The Rocket Science Group"), an e-mail processor, for transactional purposes;
- Tarsnap Backup Inc., a backup and storage company, where we store encrypted backups of our customer data;
- Linode Incorporated, a hosting provider, where we host our services;
- Google (via Google Analytics and Tag Manager), a website tracking tool, where we store anonymised data of your visit
If you enter into a contract with us by purchasing our products, we will keep your personal information on file for legal and tax reasons for at least 7 years in accordance with UK Law.
- Any or all of the above Data may be required by us from time to time in order to provide you with the best
possible service and experience when using our Website. Specifically, Data may be used by us for the following
- internal record keeping;
- improvement of our products / services;
Third party websites and services
- Semantical Limited may, from time to time, employ the services of other parties for dealing with certain
processes necessary for the operation of the Website. The providers of such services do not have access to
certain personal Data provided by Users of this Website.
Links to other websites
- This Website may, from time to time, provide links to other websites. We have no control over such websites
Changes of business ownership and control
- Semantical Limited may, from time to time, expand or reduce our business and this may involve the sale and/or
the transfer of control of all or part of Semantical Limited. Data provided by Users will, where it is relevant
to any part of our business so transferred, be transferred along with that part and the new owner or newly
which it was originally supplied to us.
- We may also disclose Data to a prospective purchaser of our business or any part of it.
- In the above instances, we will take steps with the aim of ensuring your privacy is protected.
Controlling use of your Data
- Wherever you are required to submit Data, you will be given options to restrict our use of that Data. This
may include the following:
- use of Data for direct marketing purposes; and
- sharing Data with third parties.
Functionality of the Website
- To use all features and functions available on the Website, you may be required to submit certain Data.
Accessing your own Data
- You have the right to ask for a copy of any of your personal Data held by Semantical Limited (where such Data
is held) on payment of a small fee, which will not exceed Â£20.
- Data security is of great importance to Semantical Limited and to protect your Data we have put in place
suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure Data collected via this
- If password access is required for certain parts of the Website, you are responsible for keeping this
- We endeavour to do our best to protect your personal Data. However, transmission of information over the
internet is not entirely secure and is done at your own risk. We cannot ensure the security of your Data
transmitted to the Website.
improve your experience of using the Website and to improve our range of products. Semantical Limited has
carefully chosen these Cookies and has taken steps to ensure that your privacy is protected and respected at all
- All Cookies used by this Website are used in accordance with current UK and EU Cookie Law.
- Before the Website places Cookies on your computer, you will be presented with a message bar requesting your
consent to set those Cookies. By giving your consent to the placing of Cookies, you are enabling Semantical
Limited to provide a better experience and service to you. You may, if you wish, deny consent to the placing of
Cookies; however certain features of the Website may not function fully or as intended.
- This Website may place the following Cookies:
|Type of Cookie
|Strictly necessary cookies
||These are cookies that are required for the operation of our website. They
include, for example, cookies that enable you to log into secure areas of our website, use a shopping
cart or make use of e-billing services.
||They allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors and to see how
visitors move around our website when they are using it. This helps us to improve the way our website
works, for example, by ensuring that users are finding what they are looking for easily.
||These are used to recognise you when you return to our website. This
enables us to personalise our content for you, greet you by name and remember your preferences (for
example, your choice of language or region).
||These cookies record your visit to our website, the pages you have visited
and the links you have followed. We will use this information to make our website and the advertising
displayed on it more relevant to your interests. We may also share this information with third parties
for this purpose.
- You can choose to enable or disable Cookies in your internet browser. By default, most internet browsers
accept Cookies but this can be changed. For further details, please consult the help menu in your internet
- You can choose to delete Cookies at any time; however you may lose any information that enables you to access
the Website more quickly and efficiently including, but not limited to, personalisation settings.
- It is recommended that you ensure that your internet browser is up-to-date and that you consult the help and
guidance provided by the developer of your internet browser if you are unsure about adjusting your privacy
Transfers outside the European Economic Area
- Data which we collect from you may be stored and processed in and transferred to countries outside of the
European Economic Area (EEA). For example, this could occur if our servers are located in a country outside the
EEA or one of our service providers is situated in a country outside the EEA. We also share information with our
group companies, some of which are located outside the EEA. These countries may not have data protection laws
equivalent to those in force in the EEA.
- If we transfer Data outside the EEA in this way, we will take steps with the aim of ensuring that your
provision) is invalid, illegal or unenforceable, that provision or part-provision will, to the extent required,
not be affected.
- Unless otherwise agreed, no delay, act or omission by a party in exercising any right or remedy will be
deemed a waiver of that, or any other, right or remedy.
time or as may be required by law. Any changes will be immediately posted on the Website and you are deemed to
You may contact Mastering Emacs by e-mailing mickey at mastering emacs dot org.
24 May 2018